Do I have to apply for a director ID?
You will be required to apply for your own 15-digit director ID if you are a director or a person acting in the capacity as a director of the following bodies:
- a company;
- a registered Australian body;
- a registered foreign company;
- an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation;
- a corporate trustee; or
- a charity or not-for-profit organisation.
Director IDs will stop the use of misleading or fraudulent identities and will also reduce the likelihood of directors engaging in unlawful activity.
The application process
You can apply at no charge for your director ID online through the myGovID application. If you live outside of Australia, you will need to apply via paper by including certified copies of your identity documents.
When creating your director ID, you will need:
- Your tax file number;
- Your residential address as held by the ATO; and
- Information from two of the below documents to verify your identity.
Documents that can verify your identity include:
- bank account details;
- notice of assessment;
- dividend statement;
- Centrelink payment summary;
- super account details; or
- PAYG payment summary.
For those living in Australia who do not wish to apply using the myGovID app, you can also apply over the phone or by paper lodgment.
We are unable to apply for your director ID on your behalf as you are the only person who can complete this process and verify your own identity.
When do I need to apply by?
There are different deadlines for different directors.
Directors and soon-to-be directors under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) must abide by the following deadlines:
- If you became a director on or before 31 October 2021, you must apply by 30 November 2022.
- If you become a director between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022, you must apply within 28 days of appointment.
From 5 April 2022, soon-to-be directors will be required to apply prior to being appointed as a director.
Those appointed under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2009 (Cth) (CATSI Act) on or before 31 October 2022 must apply by 30 November 2023 for their own director ID. Those intending to be directors under the CATSI Act from 1 November 2022 must apply before being appointed.
If you are a director or intend to be a director in the future and want to discuss this process, we invite you to contact our office on (08) 8410 9294 or via this form.